Tuesday, June 27, 2017

#1 2008-06-26 12:03:04 pm

blend3

Illustrator CS3 check for missing fonts

Hi,
I would like to be able to open Illustrator files and then check if there're any fonts missing in the document. I have turned the user interaction off so that no dialogs appear when opening a document with fonts missing. I thought I might be able to check for missing fonts using the "Text font properties", but it doesn't matter what syntax I use Illustrator always errors. I think this is because Illustrator can only get the Text font properties of "An Installed Font". As a last resort I tried extracting data from XMP string but it only seems to tell me the name of the fonts and not there status. Any advice on the syntax for "Text font properties" or a workaround would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nik

I can resist everything in life except temptation.
(Oscar Wilde)

#2 2017-06-09 03:18:49 am

GrahamH

Re: Illustrator CS3 check for missing fonts

on AnalyzeDocumentFonts() -- Generates a list of document fonts and missing fonts
    tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
        set documentProperties to (get XMP string of current document)

set documentFonts to {} -- Global variable
        set missingFonts to {} -- Global variable

repeat with x from 1 to count of paragraph in documentProperties
            if paragraph x of documentProperties contains "fontName" then
                set continueCount to x
                set fontNameChars to every character in paragraph x in documentProperties
                set fontName to text 35 thru -18 of fontNameChars as string -- Extracts characters from <stFnt:fontName>GillSans-ExtraBold</stFnt:fontName>

repeat with y from continueCount to (continueCount + 3)
                    if paragraph y of documentProperties contains "fontType" then
                        set fontTypeChars to every character in paragraph y in documentProperties -- Extracts characters from <stFnt:fontType>Unknown</stFnt:fontType>
                        set fontType to text 35 thru -18 of fontTypeChars as string
                    end if
                end repeat

if fontType = "Unknown" then
                    set end of missingFonts to fontName -- Contains a list of all missing fonts in current document
                else
                    set end of documentFonts to fontName -- Contains a list of all fonts used in current document
                end if
            end if
        end repeat
    end tell
end AnalyzeDocumentFonts

Board footer